Through our financial planning process we will help you organize your finances, clarify your goals, and develop a plan to reach them. The plan includes:
Cash and Asset Management
We develop a plan to ensure that your assets, income, expenses and savings are consistent with your financial goals.
Risk Management and Estate Planning
We identify your insurance and estate planning needs to ensure that you, your family and your assets are protected.
We define your retirement options and develop a plan so you will be on target to retire with financial security and on your own terms.
We review your existing investments, risk profile, time-horizon, and goals, then design a customized investment portfolio tailored to your needs.
Financial Plan Fee
**For more information about what is included in the Financial Plan fee, see FAQs below**
Annual Retainer Service
Sentry Financial Planning is a full-service financial planning firm. Our work goes far beyond selecting and managing your investments. We build, execute and manage a comprehensive plan that integrates the spectrum of your financial affairs, including spending, saving, investments, taxes, insurance, estate planning and retirement. Our plans are designed to help you achieve your most important goals, including preserving financial security throughout your life, and our Annual Retainer Service allows us to work together initially to implement the plan recommendations and then on an ongoing basis throughout the year. This is what you will receive as an Annual Retainer Service client:
Cash Flow Management
Managing your cash flow intelligently is essential in building the kind of lifetime investment and spending plan required to maintain your financial security. Knowing how much you spend and save can mean the difference between enjoying a comfortable and secure lifestyle or having to settle for less because you have outlived your savings. Once we determine the amount of savings and investments you will need to fund your personal and family goals, we will:
- Help you create a spending plan that aligns with your values and priorities.
- Identify the steps you will need to take to reach those goals.
- Develop a strategy to deploy your savings in the most effective and tax-efficient manner.
- Regularly review and monitor your progress and adjust the plan as needed.
Income Tax Planning
Proactive tax planning can yield big benefits. Less tax means more money for you to save, invest or spend. Most people address tax issues when they begin preparing their returns, but by then it is usually too late. Because we work with our clients throughout the year we are in a unique position to identify the tax implications of the financial decisions they face before rather than after they make them. We will:
- Ensure that you utilize tax-advantaged opportunities, including:
- Pre and post-tax contributions to retirement accounts.
- Tax-smart saving and investment strategies.
- Strategic Roth conversions.
- Managing investment gains and losses.
- Employer and self-employed non-retirement benefits.
- Work with your tax preparer to make sure that the strategy they pursue on your behalf will accurately reflect and support your financial goals.
Because uncertainty is a fact of life, it is crucial to have an investment strategy that is flexible enough to effectively deal with change. We tailor your plan to your unique circumstances. We consider whether you are working or retired, what kind of job you have, your current spending behaviors, future spending goals and emotional and financial ability to cope with market downturns. Then we design and manage a portfolio that offers you the best chance for success. We will:
- Wring-out unnecessary risk by diversifying the portfolio across a spectrum of selected stock and bond funds.
- Improve after-tax returns by employing smart investing strategies, including:
- Using tax-efficient investments where appropriate.
- Employing asset location strategies that place the right investments in the right accounts to minimize taxes and maximize portfolio growth.
- Harvesting and matching investment losses and gains.
- Rebalancing the portfolio in a tax-smart manner.
- Consolidate the number of investment accounts and financial institutions to eliminate redundancies and unnecessary fees that are depleting your account values. Our consolidation process includes:
- Analyzing current investments for imbedded tax liabilities and liquidation fees.
- Opening new accounts to receive asset transfers.
- Completing account applications on your behalf.
- Conducting conference calls with the financial institutions to verify asset values, cost basis and confirm asset transfer procedures.
- Completing transfer paperwork on your behalf.
- Executing asset transfers.
- Formally review the portfolio quarterly and make adjustments to reflect changes in your personal and financial situation.
- Provide behavioral coaching. Though sudden surges and prolonged, frightening drops in the financial markets are to be expected, even the most seasoned and experienced investors make emotional and impulsive decisions that can result in costly mistakes. One of our most valuable functions is to prepare you for these inevitable events, design a portfolio that anticipates them, and ensure that you maintain a cool head and remain focused on your long-term plan.
Estate planning is a fundamental part of every financial plan. Employing even the most basic strategies can yield enormous personal and economic benefits. A thoughtfully-designed and well-managed estate plan should evolve over time to reflect your changing circumstances and goals so it can protect you, your family and your assets while you are alive and upon your death. We will:
- Coordinate efforts with your attorney on the design, implementation, and revision of the proper planning vehicles consistent with your overall financial plan.
- Review account ownership and beneficiary designations on all accounts to ensure that your property is held and distributed in the most effective, tax-efficient and economical manner.
- Retitle assets and change beneficiary designations as warranted, so they are aligned with your estate planning goals.
Insurance and Risk Planning
Protecting your income and assets from catastrophic financial loss that can result from illness, death or creditor lawsuits is a vital part of any financial plan. We will:
- Assess your need for property, liability, life, disability and long-term care protection.
- Evaluate current policies to determine if coverage increases or decreases are warranted or if current policies should be replaced.
- Shop for and evaluate competitive policies and pricing.
- Work with your insurance specialists to ensure that your coverages are appropriate and remain adequate as your income, assets and personal situation changes.
Most people want to maintain their pre-retirement lifestyle once they stop working. However, living in retirement requires a different set of strategies than saving for The major challenge clients face is converting a nest egg accumulated over a lifetime of work into an income stream that will last for as long as they live. We guide you through the transition from the workforce and then throughout your retirement to ensure that your income and investments are aligned with your spending needs. We will:
- Evaluate potential tax minimization strategies including:
- Employer retirement plan to IRA rollovers.
- Tax-efficient distribution of existing annuities.
- Tactical traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversions.
- Analyze employer pension payout options (lump-sum vs. life annuity vs. joint & survivor annuity).
- Determine optimal Social Security timing strategies.
- Coordinate Medicare with supplemental plans.
- Construct, implement and manage a systematic portfolio withdrawal plan to:
- Generate a monthly paycheck to cover spending needs.
- Match withdrawals with spending to ensure that your nest egg lasts as long as you live.
- Minimize taxes.
Sentry Financial Planning does not sell insurance products, draft estate planning documents or prepare tax returns. Our advice and work with clients and their insurance, estate, and tax specialists is based on the perspective of a financial advisor. Clients should rely on the expertise of professionals in each of these areas.
Annual Retainer Service Fee
- Invested Assets
- First $1,000,000
- Next $1,000,000
- Subsequent Amounts
- Annual Fee %
*Minimum annual fee is $4,000
Examples of Annual Retainer Fee Calculations
- Clients with a $250,000 portfolio will be charged the annual minimum fee of $4,000. The average % fee for this portfolio will be 1.6%.
- Clients with a $500,000 portfolio will be charged an annual % fee of 0.75%. The average % fee for this portfolio will be 0.75%.
- Clients with a $1,000,000 portfolio will be charged an annual % fee of 0.75%. The average % fee for this portfolio will be 0.75%.
- Clients with a $1,500,000 portfolio will be charged an annual % fee of 0.75% on the first $1,000,000 plus 0.50% on the next $500,000. The average % fee for this portfolio will be 0.67%.
- Clients with a $2,500,000 portfolio will be charged an annual % fee of 0.75% on the first $1,000,000 plus 0.50% on the next $1,000,000, plus 0.25% on the next $500,000. The average % fee for this portfolio will be 0.55%.